Friday, May 9, 2014

Goals and Rewards

Goal- the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
Reward- something given or received in return or recompense for service, merit, hardship, etc.
 (source- www.dictionary.com)

I have goals. Non-fitness related such as paying off debt, finishing my kitchen, decluttering rooms and my life basically. Then I have health/fitness ones. Such as, weight goals, endurance goals, weight lifting goals and some days, running goals. The running one tends to sway some days but it is still there (it just isn't a priority at the moment and not exactly sure when it will become a priority).

Having goals is so important in anything you want to accomplish. Having goals in your head is one thing, but when you write them down and look at them every day, for me it makes them real. They are tangible. You read it every single time you walk by it. 

So my big goal that I have written down right now is to lose 50lbs so I can buy me a pair of legit Sperry shoes. I have a pair of the Kohl's knockoffs and they are fine but I want to reward myself and spending $$$$ on shoes (other than boots because that is always justified!) is a great way. 

I have a picture of the shoes on my mirror that I pull out of the drawer and look at while I brush my teeth/do my make-up/and do my hair (and by do my hair I mean usually throw it back). 

Source-Pinterest
 This allows me to see the end result while also looking in the mirror and seeing the progress I am making towards that goal. Now I know I said not to get hung up on the number on the scale but in reality my number needs to go down and pushing myself to get that number down with a goal is what I need to do. However, that number will not define progress that I am making in other areas.

That one is a more long term goal. Currently my short term goal is 10lbs for the month of May. Watch me rock it and when I do, I'm getting a massage! Again, a number goal but easily measured.

Source-Pinterest


This leads to another point, rewarding yourself for accomplishing your goals.  

I am all about rewards that are things I normally wouldn't buy for myself. Such as Sperry's, a massage etc. I've seen cool things like people putting money in a jar every time they work out and using that money to pay for their reward. However, I never have cash on me so I feel like I would always be owing the jar money. It will just be easier to go out and buy whatever it may be that I deem necessary. 

So basically, have a goal, write it down, read it every day and reward yourself (however you deem necessary) when you achieve it! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment